The L’Anse Diaries: Day 5 The Storm

I woke up on a mission to do something.  Anything.

I cooked pancakes, eggs, and bacon.  It tasted delicious, but seemed to be more trouble than it was worth by the time I had made several trips to the water spigot, trying to figure out the best way to wash the dishes with the limited amenities of a campground.

After we were all dressed for the day, we took off to Canyon Falls, where the hike to the falls was longer than I remember.  Because nothing says ‘relaxing vacation’ like hiking with three kids, walking out onto rocks that overhand the rushing water, no safety rails.  And even when you get to the falls, the safety railings could not keep a three-year-old safe.  I had major anxiety every time Brady would take off running and jumping.  But we made it there and back in one piece, though Mark did hear an animal rustling around in the trees right beside the path.

We returned to the campground to have lunch and rustle up some more people to go back to Second Sand Beach as it looked like it would be the last good beach day for the week.  It was another great day at the beach, with the kids staying busy playing in the sand and splashing in the waves.  The water was still frigid.

We came back to the campground to shower and then off to the Press Box for TACO TUESDAY!  We were not there long before many of the other families in our crew started arriving.  Sullivan ate his three tacos and one of Brady’s and then asked for another half of taco.

“I’m not ordering you a half of taco, but if you would like to go table to table, maybe someone will give you one,” I told him.

He looked at me, disgusted.  “I don’t want to talk to strangers!”

I am not sure if I should be more concerned that he did not realize that the entire dining room was our family or that he really thought that I would tell him to go ask a stranger for one of their tacos.

After dinner, it was ladies’ night at the casino.  The Let It Ride table was not kind to me.  We returned to camp and my sister-in-law told me it was supposed to start storming around 11 pm.  We knew it was going to rain, so we had already taken most of our things inside, but we finished making the preparations.  I was hoping it would not be bad, but I have watched the storms roll across the bay and they are always terrific.

We put the kids to bed and sat outside having cocktails and waiting on a storm.  The sky started lighting up, but we could not hear the thunder for at least five seconds.  The storm was a little ways off, but it was coming soon.   When it started sprinkling, we all split up to our own camps to take shelter, with some of those in tents opting to go to a few open spots in campers and trailers.

I was not inside for a full minute when the sky opened up and buckets and buckets of rain drove into the top of our camper, the sound amplified and echoing on the fiberglass top.   Several times a minute, the lightening would light up the whole sky and the thunder, so loud, sounded like it was right on top of you.  The wind was so forceful that the canopy over the kids’ bed was sagging.  Mark went over to it, thinking it was pooled up with rain, but even after shaking it off, it sagged, seemingly from the wind.

At first, I found sleep difficult.  The fury of the storm did not diminish after 15 minutes like I was expecting, but seemed to last an eternity.  But at some point, it must have put me to sleep because I did not know, until the next day, that there was a lull in the storm, followed by more rain.  I also did not know that Mark left the camper when he heard our family members partying it up in his brother’s camper and he decided to join them.

About jillo31

I always wanted to write the great American novel. I've come to the realization that that may not happen. Instead, I'm going to write about my life as a working mom to three boys. I figure in ten years, I won't remember what these days are like. I want to record my everyday victories and struggles.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s