Dream Cruising

Sweet little Colin did not want to go to sleep last night. He normally will fall asleep nursing and it may take a couple of attempts to keep him sleeping when I put him in the crib, but most nights, he’s asleep in his crib by 8:30 pm. Last night, we were only just beginning at 8:30 pm.

He initially fell asleep early, I tried a couple times to put him in his crib but he kept waking up. Mark took a turn and I was confident he’d be asleep in no time and then we could enjoy the rest of our evening together. It didn’t work out like that. Mark walked with him for a while and then I took him again, sure that he would fall asleep nursing. Nope. We took turns back and forth for literally HOURS.

He refused to nurse at all. If we tried to rock him in the chair, he would either cry or think it was play time. Baby laughs are so incredibly adorable except when they’re not, like when said baby should be fast asleep in his crib and mommy should be devouring some waffle cone ice cream. When my frustration got to a certain level, I would put him in his crib alone. He cried. I’m soft. I’d pick him up and we’d start the whole process over again.

At 8:30 pm, I was frustrated because I knew any chance I had of an “evening” was probably shot. (I work until 7 pm Monday and start at 7 am Tuesday, so there is not a whole lot of time to decompress.) By 9:00 pm, Mark suggested that we give him Benadryl but I was afraid to. He’s never had Benadryl and he might be the kid who has the paradoxical reaction that causes him to be wired instead of sleepy. By 9:30 pm, I abandoned the thought of getting up at 4:30 in the morning to get my run in. By 10:00, I decided to make Mark go to bed and soldier on alone. Mark has to get up earlier than me for work and I was certain that Colin would fall asleep any minute now. He didn’t. By 10:30 pm, I was delirious.

I was rescued by my last resort: the dream cruise. When Sully was a nap-resistant baby and Brady was a nap-resistant two-year-old, and I was one very sleep-deprived mom desperate for a nap, I used to take the kids driving up and down Woodward to get them to sleep. I called it the Woodward Dream Cruise. I’m witty like that. I have never had to drive Colin to sleep, but I thought it just might work.

At 10:30 pm, I left the house with my sweet little baby. He smiled at me like we were going on an adventure. I was in a tank top and pajama pants, no bra, and I prayed that I wouldn’t get pulled over because that would be awkward. We drove up and down Woodward and I didn’t hear a peep out of the little guy.

I turned up the music and relaxed, thankful to be sitting down without the sound of a crying child. It’s times like these that I have to remind myself to embrace these days. It won’t be long before my little guy is a young man and I might not even know where he is at 11:00 at night. I’m guessing there is going to be a point in my life where I will look back at this moment in time and be grateful that my biggest worry was that my baby would not fall asleep and I was missing out on some ice cream and a morning run.

I was turning back onto my street when he started crying again (go figure.) I continued driving until after he had stopped crying for a good ten minutes and then I went back home where I eventually did get him into his crib at midnight.

About jillo31

I always wanted to write the great American novel. I've come to the realization that that may not happen. Instead, I'm going to write about my life as a working mom to three boys. I figure in ten years, I won't remember what these days are like. I want to record my everyday victories and struggles.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s